All about us
McKenzie & Millar Funeral Directors are the longest serving Funeral Directors in Leith, dating back to 1880.
In 1917, the funeral home was known as William Millar The Central Funeral Undertaking Establishment which was at that time occupying premises at 81 Great Junction Street.
In 1925 the name was changed to William Millar Funeral Undertakers & Carriage Hirer.
By 1955, it was known as McKenzie and Millar Ltd Funeral Undertakers & Carriage Hirers and extended the premises to Great Junction Street.
“The premises at Pirrie Street were sold in the late 1990’s and became residential housing.”
On the 24th September 1998, McKenzie & Millar opened new premises on Ferry Road. The premise included an Arranging Room and Viewing Facilities and is located within a row of shops which was formerly a greengrocer.
Again as a further development and to offer a service to communities on the east side of the city, McKenzie & Millar opened a further funeral home at 177 Piersfield Tarrace. The premises were officially opened by the local councillor, Reverend Ewan Aitken on 1st February 2010, with attendance from local clergy and people from the local community.
The property dates back a number of years and was originally used as a social club by supporters of Hibernian Football Club. The building has a basement which was used to store beer barrels which were delivered through a trap at the side of the building.
“To this day, there is a football carved in stone, visible above the front door of the premises.”
Over the years the building has been used for different purposes, and of late, prior to McKenzie & Millar refurbishing the entire premises to accommodate a modern funeral home, was used as a carpet shop.